Email marketing 101: When to use a broadcast vs. autoresponder
Do you find all the jargon around online marketing confusing?
Trust me, you’re not alone, but I am on a mission to change that!
When it comes to using your email marketing system (such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, AWeber, etc.). there are 2 ways to send out emails:
Today I will share the difference between these two types of emails and when to use each.
Before I get into the nitty gritty, I want to share that each email marketing system uses different terms for “broadcasts” and “autoresponders.”
Here’s a little chart that explains this.
|Email Marketing System||Term used for “Broadcast”||Term used for “Autoresponder”|
What is a broadcast?
A broadcast is an email you set up to be sent on a specific date and time, such as September 1, 2013 at 9am.
When should you set-up emails as broadcasts?
Use a broadcast to send out:
- Your regular newsletter/ezine.
- Emails promoting a live teleseminar or other live events.
- Emails promoting a live offering, like a Fall detox.
What is an autoresponder?
This one is a little trickier to explain, so stay with me as I walk you through this.
An autoresponder is an email you set-up to go out based on when the person/subscriber joined the list.
For example: If someone enters their name and email on your website because they want to join your list and receive your free gift, you will want them to immediately receive an email that gives them access to the free gift. In this case you wouldn’t use a broadcast, because a broadcast is scheduled on a specific date and time. In this case you would use an autoresponder and set the the autoresponder to be send “immediately” or on “day 0.”
When should you set-up emails as autoresponders?
Use autoresponders to send out:
- Welcome emails after someone purchases a program or product from you.
- A series of emails to go out to people who join your list or opt-in to your free gift. The first email will give them access to the free gift, but you may want to have a series of emails go out automatically over the course of a few days or weeks.
- Email with call-in information after someone registers for a free teleseminar or webinar.
- A series of emails to go out to people who purchase a homestudy program. You can have these emails set-up to go out automatically over the course of a few days or weeks.
What questions do you have about broadcasts and autoresponders?
Post your questions below so we can get you into action!